Procedure for Permanent Residency UK for students
UK is an attractive destination for one to attain quality education or to start his/her career. If you have completed your education in UK and thinking to settle in UK, then you should apply for the PR or Permanent Residence. If you have Permanent Residence of a foreign country, it authorizes him/her to stay in that particular country for an indefinite period of time without any constraints. In the UK, permanent residency is referred as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Every now and then, the immigration rules are bound to change. Since the last 10 years, it has become a little complicated.
Benefits of Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
A person having an ILR status enjoys the following benefits:
- If the person possessing the ILR status is a citizen of any CWC (Commonwealth Country) then he/she can vote in the UK general elections. They can also fight elections as a candidate.
- If you’ve held the ILR for more than one year and residing in UK for a period of five years or more, then you can apply for citizenship. Besides, if you’re married to a British national, it becomes a lot easier and simpler to get the citizenship.
- People with ILR status enjoy all the benefits enjoyed by the citizens such as public funds and services like health care services, job seeker allowance and many more.
- Students with ILR status will be counted as home students. As a result, they have to pay lesser tuition fees than the other foreign students who don’t have ILR status. Home students include the citizens of UK, EEA (European Economic Area) students and pupils with ILR status.
Click to know Tourist Destination Assignment
So, if you’re planning to stay in the country for a longer time, you must consider the permanent residency or the ILR status. If you face any problem during the process, immigration officers are there to assist you. They are the best source to guide you in every situation.
- If a EEA citizen (European Economic Area citizen) or a Swiss citizen is living in UK for five years, then he/she is eligible to apply for ILR status.
- If you do not belong to any of the EEA countries, then you need to follow a definite procedure and fulfil the following conditions.
- You need to be living in UK for continuously five years. The reason of your stay should be genuine like work or education. In other words, you should be self-reliant. This five year period is called qualifying period and this can be reduced to two years if the you’re married to a British national.
- Sometimes, they ask you to give a ‘Life in UK’ test. Its basically an evaluation exam which tests your knowledge about UK like its history, geography and general government rules and regulations.
- If you belong to a non-English-speaking country, then you need to qualify an English level test like B1, B2, C1 or C2. Applicants from English-speaking countries need not to give the test.
- At the time of the application, you should be in the country with a valid visa and passport.
Here is the Application Procedure for Permanent Residency UK for students
In order to apply for ILR status or Permanent Residence, you need to download the respective application form. The application form can be downloaded from the respective UK government’s immigration website. Practice utmost caution while filling the form and make sure all the entries are true.
List the supporting documents attached with the form. The documents required vary from person to person based on factors like the your nationality, the course you are pursuing and on the reasons to apply for the ILR status. You need to submit your latest photographs.
The application is to be submitted in the nearby Post Office branch, Home Office or the respective Immigration centre. Applications, which are incomplete or have errors are bound to reject or may take longer time to process.
The whole process was free but due to the high number of applications, a nominal fee was introduced. Now, fee is revised every year and it can cost you up to £1,000. So, it is recommended that you verify the ILR charges at the time of application.
Also, you need to pay around £80 for Biometric Information Collection.
Biometric Information Collection
It is an important part of the application procedure known as Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). Your Biometric Information will be collected at your nearby Post Office. You will be informed the timings by mail or call. The following details are collected at Post Office:
- A digital photo of your face
- Digital prints of all the 10 fingers
Also, you are required to provide the following information:
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Present Immigration Status
- Present Studying or Working Status.
You have to give appropriate confirmation and supporting documents to verify the information given by you. The whole procedure is finished within 10-15 minutes. If you are below 18, then you should be accompanied by your parent or guardian. The BRP card approves your identity and provides you the exclusive right to study and work in UK. It will reach you in 10-15 days. If the card is lost then you can apply for a replacement.
HND Assignments gives the best scholarly help in the UK
Universities in UK host thousands of international students. The hectic and stressful academic routine in the UK universities can be hard to take. If you are also terrified with the words like assignments, essays and deadlines then HND Assignment Help team is here to help you.